You run out to the store and come back to find your dog on the floor unable to lift his head, he is trembling, soaked in urine, and vomiting! You realize he ate the edibles you purchased earlier that day. That overwhelming feeling when your stomach flips and your face gets hot hits you like a truck. You think to yourself that you had no idea that cannabis could make your dog sick if ingested. The startling fact is If your dog eats “weed” or any edible containing THC it can be fatal depending on the size of your dog and the amount of cannabis ingested.
To make matters worse many edibles are made with chocolate and/or artificial sweeteners that alone are extremely toxic in turn slapping a dog with a double whammy.
It’s a terrifying scenario that could easily become a reality in almost any household around the world. Cannabis is used recreationally, used to treat side effects of chemotherapy, anxiety, chronic pain, and insomnia. There are many other uses but you get the idea that it’s widely used by many.
We decided this was an incredibly important topic to address and given the recent legalization of cannabis use in CT it is a critical time, as well.
Symptoms of THC poisoning are:
If you suspect your dog has ingested cannabis contact your vet immediately. After regular business hours contact your nearest emergency vet hospital.
We have asked for people to share personal experiences with us and they have. Fortunately, all these cases of THC poisoning were not fatal but certainly tragic regardless.
“He was very dazed and lethargic. I kept an eye on him as he slowly came out of it after I realized what happened. I was going to call vet but then he suddenly started coming out of it.”
“My husband is a medical patient and was making cookies when a small piece dropped. My dog ate the peace. We brought her to the emergency vet. They took vitals and she was fine, just off balance and tired. They sent us home, she slept the rest of the day. She regained balance after her long nap. Thank God it was just a small piece, it could of been worse. The vet said it can effect their internal temperature and can be serious. “
“I have had one experience with THC poisoning with my dog. I used to save the flower that had already been used in a vape to use for edibles and teas. One day the weed spilled in my closet and I was unaware that it happened. My dog ended up eating it. Later, he was acting strange. He couldn’t walk right and his head was bobbling, he had a dazed look in his eyes. He literally couldn’t hold his head up. It was terrifying I had no idea what was happening to my healthy, 2 year old lab mix. Until I found the open, empty container of vaped weed on the ground. Thankfully it was not enough for him to need medical attention, however the effects of it it lasted all day. It was horrible to see him him suffer. You could tell he didn’t know what was happening to him and was scared 😢 ever since then I don’t save my vaped weed and don’t have any edibles laying around. It’s not worth it!”
“Came home once to find our dog not able to walk a straight line and extremely lethargic. Rushed him to the ER Vet and he lost control of his bowel and bladder in the waiting room. After the vet examined him and called us in she told us she suspected THC poisoning. My husband and I looked at each other dumbfounded. We hadn’t had any in the house for a few weeks at that point. Then we remembered that friends had brought over a sugar cookie a few days before that we forgot about and had probably been left on the coffee table. We felt horrible! Luckily our pup was treated with IV fluids quickly and recovered by the next day but it was very scary. We are much more vigilant when edibles are brought into the house now.”
“When I was in my 20’s my dog ate a bag of weed when she tore open the center console while someone went into the gas station to pay for gas. It was the worst experience ever! My boyfriend at the time laid on the floor of the kitchen guilt ridden with the dog worried she would die and crying while he prayed she would live.”